347 N. Pottstown Pike, Suite 200 | Exton, PA 19341

Enrolling in Medicare A and B (turning 65)

Unless you are collecting social security income prior to your 65th birthday, you will be required to take action to enroll in Medicare A and B.

The easiest way to enroll is to visit www.ssa.gov/medicare.  Scroll Down to find the button for Apply for Medicare Only (or click here to go right to the application)

  • Directions – How to Enroll Online
  • If you are still actively working and on Group Health Insurance but want to enroll in Medicare instead of your group health insurance, it makes sense to notate this in the application.
    • Typically when you answer the questions that you are still working and have group coverage, Medicare will contact you first to make sure you know you may not be required to enroll in Medicare.
    • We recommend that you add the following to the comments box at the end of the application:  “Although I am still working and eligible for my group health plan, I have decided that Medicare is more cost effective and I will be replacing my group health coverage”

We strongly advise that you keep your email confirmation receipt and to continuously check your www.myssa.gov to check status on the processing.  If you not see Medicare Parts A&B populate in your www.myssa.gov account prior to your effective date request, please contact your local Social Security field office to confirm that they are in receipt of your application.

If you are applying for Medicare, but do not have 40 quarters of Medicare taxes due to your own history, you will have to apply under your spouses taxes and work history.

Under this circumstance, please contact your local Social Security field office to explain your situation and request enrollment in Medicare. 

  • You may be asked for additional documentation such as your marriage certificate when you apply.

Effective Date Considerations when applying at age 65

You will receive a computer generated effective date if you are in your Medicare Initial Enrollment Period (IEP).  Your IEP is:

  • 3 months before your 65th birthday month
  • the month of your 65th birthday
  • 3 months following your 65th birthday

If you apply during this time, your Medicare Part A effective date will be the 1st of the month of your 65th birthday (assuming you qualify for PREMIUM FREE Part A)

You DO NOT get to choose your Part B effective date during your IEP.  The only way to have any control of the effective date is to visit the enrollment page at a specific time based on the chart.

If you are trying to achieve a specific effective date, please discuss with a Medicare Client Services Representative at HTA.  More details provided on Medicare.gov