Your enrollment process depends on if you are already collecting social security income before your 65th birthday.
Not previously collecting Social Security Income.
- The easiest way to enroll is to visit www.ssa.gov/medicare.
- Scroll Down to find button for Apply for Medicare Only ( Or click here to go right to the application)
- If you are eligible to defer Part B (you have qualified creditable coverage), you will the opportunity in the application to decline Part B coverage at this time.
- Click here for step by step Directions – How to Enroll Online
Already collecting Social Security Income
- You should not have to take any action to enroll in Medicare. Please expect to see your new Medicare ID card in the mail approximately 3 months before your 65th birthday. Your effective date will be the first of the month of 65th birthday (unless your birthday is on the 1st, then it will be effective the 1st of the prior month).